Saturday, July 19, 2008

Good for you Katie, and good for us

Katie Couric isn't on my top 10 list of journalists I most admire but I was happy to see that she plans to continue anchoring the CBS evening news. I think she's gotten a bit of what Hillary Clinton got: more scrutiny (read nitpicking) than she deserved. 

But that's something Couric can't control. What she can control is her reaction to it and to a large degree the kind of journalism she wants to be known for. 

With her evening anchor role and with meaty contributions to "60 Minutes," Couric has a great chance to gain her bones and a bigger audience over time. If she hang in there for a few years, I have no doubt she''ll become a beloved and respected figure. 
 
Women still aren't given the opportunities men are given when it comes to top flight news positions. So when some like Couric is given such an opportunity, my hope is that she doesn't step down too soon unless she absolutely has to.

No comments: